SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at buying a Discovery 47'
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I looked into buying Porpoise (the one in the photo on the Sailboat Data page) from Bill Killam a number of years ago. It was the very first Airex core boat ever built - very high tech in the late 60's - and preceded his brothers maxi Graybeard. It was a pretty neat boat and had been hot in its day but it was well worn and overpriced IMO. It would have been a fabulous boat for cruising these parts with that pilohouse layout.

It was HUGE - 35 to 50% bigger than my Columbia 43 if my time hazed impressions are correct. Stairs from the dock were required. It would be an expensive boat to maintain. I imagine you'd need crew to take it out, although the broker told me Killam was selling it because, even though he didn't need glasses or hearing aids, at 90 Y.O. it was getting to be too much for him to singlehand! He kept it at RVYC Jericho so it was about the best possible berth for doing that but still....

Even if you were GIVEN that boat it would cost you tens of $thousands a year to continue owning it - over $500 just to fuel it - consider carefully.
Thank you! Can you give me a rough break down of those costs? Where do the 10s of thousands come from? Labor? Parts? Materials?
If it's materials that's a problem. Parts less so, and labor not so much, with the exception of engine or electrical repairs, though I can likely get some help for the basics on those as well.

The usage during the first 4-5 years will be pretty light, it'll mostly stay in dock. A bit of coastal sailing, practicing under

The owner says he average 1-1.1 gph under power. Anything less than a 3 day trip under heavy cloud cover and they don't burn any diesel for electricity either.

How can you check if it was Airex cored, the owner said it was a balsa core for his?

If anyone knows of any other boats in the Co-op for sale I'm all ears, I don't want to get too much tunnel vision, but she sure looked nicely taken care of.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook