SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone living in a marina in San Diego Bay?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

bassviking is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone living in a marina in San Diego Bay?

I'm living abaord down in Chula Vista. The good parts are that its cheap as far as SD goes. Its pretty quiet in my book. Its like a block or two off I-5.

The bummer part is its WAY WAY away from the ocean like 2.5-3 hours away. Its even a bit far just to get to the sailable part of South Bay, something like 20-30 minutes in a channel.

The cool part though is that South Bay is hardly ever crowded and there's always good wind in the afternoon. Point Loma isn't blocking anything down there. Sailing by the Surface Fleet is always kinda of cool. Watching the SEALs and SAR Helos train is always cool. You don't have to dodge too many Navy Ships in down there as most of the sailable part of South Bay is around 10-12 feet of depth. Tons and tons of bird life.

For me the goods out weigh the bad. I'd love to be closer to the ocean but I don't want to deal with the "crazyness" of Shelter Island. The only way I'm leaving CV is if I can get a mooring ball.