SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at buying a Discovery 47'
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Thank you! Can you give me a rough break down of those costs? Where do the 10s of thousands come from? Labor? Parts? Materials?
If it's materials that's a problem. Parts less so, and labor not so much, with the exception of engine or electrical repairs, though I can likely get some help for the basics on those as well.

The usage during the first 4-5 years will be pretty light, it'll mostly stay in dock. A bit of coastal sailing, practicing under

The owner says he average 1-1.1 gph under power. Anything less than a 3 day trip under heavy cloud cover and they don't burn any diesel for electricity either.

How can you check if it was Airex cored, the owner said it was a balsa core for his?

If anyone knows of any other boats in the Co-op for sale I'm all ears, I don't want to get too much tunnel vision, but she sure looked nicely taken care of.
Here's some examples - even cheap sails will start at around $5K each, you could easily spend $8K EACH for deluxe ones. Fuel at $500 a fill, at least $500 for bottom paint - just the cans of paint. Hauling for bottom maintenance, probably $300 each way. $1 a MINUTE for pressure washing the bottom and that boat will take a hour to do properly. Probably $800+ for time on the hard. You have the ongoing costs for parking it at the Co-Op - with the City charges you'll be paying $5K or so, not counting the amortization of the buy in. Replacing running rigging will run $1.50 a foot for each of the lines - in low tech line. A single snap shackle for a boat that size will eat most of $100.

Shall I continue?

One thing to remember is that sailboats tend to eat money irregularly, but in big chunks - you can go for several years on a set of sails but then you need a couple of new ones - goodbye $10K - $15K. You may go several years spending very little on the engine - just fuel, oil & filters but then you need to do your stuffing box and cutless bearing, maybe a new shaft if it has been badly scored - $$$$$. Damage a prop with some floating debris - $500 to $3K+ depending on your prop. I don't know how the boat is outfitted but things like water heaters, hot air furnaces, refrigeration etc. get very expensive when they break, which they do a lot more frequently than home versions. You have to provide your own water pumps - the city doesn't pressurize the water for you - and they are troublesome critters.

These are only some examples, not an exhaustive list but I think you see how things can add up quickly. There is ALWAYS something that needs doing on a boat and it's ALWAYS more expensive than expected, usually 2 or 3 times more.

I don't want to scare you off but I think you would be well advised to dial back on the size of boat you are considering starting with. A 40' boat will probably cost little more than 1/2 as much to operate as that monster you are looking at - it is a very big 47' boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-27-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook