SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking at buying a Discovery 47'
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Here's some examples - even cheap sails will start at around $5K each, you could easily spend $8K EACH for deluxe ones. Fuel at $500 a fill, at least $500 for bottom paint - just the cans of paint. Hauling for bottom maintenance, probably $300 each way. $1 a MINUTE for pressure washing the bottom and that boat will take a hour to do properly. Probably $800+ for time on the hard. You have the ongoing costs for parking it at the Co-Op - with the City charges you'll be paying $5K or so, not counting the amortization of the buy in. Replacing running rigging will run $1.50 a foot for each of the lines - in low tech line. A single snap shackle for a boat that size will eat most of $100.
Hmm, they told me city charges were rolled into the moorage fees, he phoned the front office and they confirmed 5.15 rising to 5.50 for 2013, all in. With their current slip that works out to 57 for winter including running space heaters and an oil filled heater in the main cabin.
Cable, internet, parking, sauna, workshop access, electric based on their consumption levels, city fees etc.
Works out to 6900/year for that.
on top of that they pay 110$/mo for insurance for insurance.

How often do you need to apply bottom paint to an epoxy coated boat?
How often should you get the boat on land and power wash the bottom?
Do you know if the Royal Victoria Yacht club haul out could take a boat of this size? I think I might get slightly better rates there if my dad is hauling it out(he's a member there)

When you say hauling out, does this imply winching out and placing up on a wheeled trailer, using a lift, or using a tidal grid?
If using a tidal grid, could I then bring my own gas power washer and clean it there instead?

Quote:
Shall I continue?
Yes please!

Quote:
One thing to remember is that sailboats tend to eat money irregularly, but in big chunks - you can go for several years on a set of sails but then you need a couple of new ones - goodbye $10K - $15K. You may go several years spending very little on the engine - just fuel, oil & filters but then you need to do your stuffing box and cutless bearing, maybe a new shaft if it has been badly scored - $$$$$. Damage a prop with some floating debris - $500 to $3K+ depending on your prop. I don't know how the boat is outfitted but things like water heaters, hot air furnaces, refrigeration etc. get very expensive when they break, which they do a lot more frequently than home versions. You have to provide your own water pumps - the city doesn't pressurize the water for you - and they are troublesome critters.

These are only some examples, not an exhaustive list but I think you see how things can add up quickly. There is ALWAYS something that needs doing on a boat and it's ALWAYS more expensive than expected, usually 2 or 3 times more.

I don't want to scare you off but I think you would be well advised to dial back on the size of boat you are considering starting with. A 40' boat will probably cost little more than 1/2 as much to operate as that monster you are looking at - it is a very big 47' boat.
The diesel engine is in good shape, honestly it's the cleanest I've ever seen.
Packing is probably still good, it was done in 2010 as well, tools and enough packing for two more rounds is secured right by the shaft, there's still 3/4" space left on the adjustment.
Refrigeration was redone in '08 and is a very nice low power draw system(Nova Kool, replacement on it is 1297$ for the same unit)
Hot water tank is custom built. Welded SS by a local welder/sailor with stock home depot fittings for easy replacement of wearing parts.
Hot air is electric on grid, diesel off. He mentioned the water pumps but I've forgotten.

Half as much is a big savings That is very good to know. It leaves all costs directly on me though, so I have to factor that in as well. Especially when moorage outside the Co-op is significantly more.
If you have any suggestions of boats for sale, or areas to look, I'm all ears!

By all means keep going, the more I can get an idea of the cost of things the better.
Every little clue helps when you're as completely ignorant of what you're thinking of getting into as I am.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook