SailNet Community - View Single Post - Things we learned about life aboard while traveling south on the ICW
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: Things we learned about life aboard while traveling south on the ICW

The form of suitable and comfortable seat at the helm will vary with the vessel and the crew. I use a different adjustment at the helm than my wife which includes a small "bean bag" chair that conforms to my position and any heel. Over the span of our forty years of cruising, including 24 passages of the East Coast ICW, we have seen an increasing problem in recent years that comes with a mistaken trust in the "magenta line". We are amazed that people will choose to run aground with the committed trust in their chartplotter and ignore the placements of markers or even the birds walking in shallow water. Look up, the real world trumps the virtual world! I do like the recommendation of the wash down pump for clearing the mud from the raised anchor chain, but there is another option. I usually carry a boathook to the bow while raising my anchor and reach out to shake the rising chain every ten to fifteen feet. This activity rinses the chain and, combined with cranking my manual windlass, also replaces my need for a gym membership. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook