SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?

My 44 footer heaves to under jib alone. Seems to be a little closer to the wind with the main up also. It does really well with a double reef and LOTS of the jib furled. Also does well with the storm staysail.

My main is a monster and even with the slides lubed will not come down of it's own accord. I've always had to "help" it down.

Docking.... I stern to into my dock space. I back up to the pier and grab two lines. First is a catch line that I place on the stern cleat. The other is a line that will ultimately go over the bow cleat. I have both lines on each side so no matter the wind direction I always have the two lines to grab. Then all I do once the catch line is cleated is to pull on the line that goes to the bow until I can cleat it. Last but not least I have roller bumpers lining the finger on the slip.... greatest invention EVERY!

BUT the reason I jumped in here.... the absolutely best most useful thing I EVER added to my boat to help with single handing, other than the autopilot, is a wireless remote control. I can steer from anywhere on the boat including the bow AND can turn the auto pilot on and off with the thing.... greatest tool EVER IMHO but I'm an electronic junkie and they make fun of my remote control 44 foot sailboat..... I just smile and wave as I single hand along with my remote hanging from a lanyard around my neck and a cold adult beverage in my hand....