SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?

I single hand without a wheel lock, auto pilot, windvane, or lazy jacks.

First, it'd be super nice to have auto pilot, but I can't afford it.

Anyway, all of my lines are led aft. I'm pretty safe behind the wheel. Going forward is a good way to fall overboard. When going forward, one hand for me, one for the boat always.

I think procedures through first before doing them. Coming and going from the dock, I make sure everything is at the ready including the boat hook, while I'm out and away from crowded areas or still tied up.

For docking, I usually am going down wind before turning into my slip so I have a lines rigged to catch the boat if I happen to be coming in a bit hot and don't get it stopped in time. It turns into a cross wind landing so I need enough speed or else it could get ugly. But never so much speed that it would hurt to hit something.

The docking procedure in the video with Capt Jack is golden.

On gusty windy days, I get the main down, gathered, and bungee'd then worry about flaking nice and pretty while tied up at the dock. I've tried to flake it nice and pretty when it's windy and it's just too much going on. The boat falls off the wind which blows the flakes off even if I'm doing bungees as I go.
I think some lazy jacks are in order.

For a gybe, I worry about getting the main over and leave the jib cleated and let it backwind. After the main is over, I'll get the jib over.
In enough wind that I'm uncomfortable gybing, I'll chicken gybe. If it's nice but gusty conditions, I'll wait for the gust to pass before doing a gybe.

If I want a nice, relaxed, pleasure sail, I go under main alone (fractional rigs FTW!).

20 kts or more and no crew=I stay at the dock and fish.

My yawl rig is easier to single hand than my sloop. Hoist the mizzen, tighten it up and she'll stay pointed into the wind all day long.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook