SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Deck Treatments - The Best ?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Teak Deck Treatments - The Best ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
OK - Might try to get a sample of clear and natural to get a better idea. Wiping the caulking sounds a bit of a chore, so Clear might be the place to start - we can always go Natural or darker, but I suspect we will prefer more frequent applications. Time and personal experience will tell. I am wondering how long it takes per coat for a 50' yacht such as an Oceanis 50. I would imagine the cockpit area and transom step would be around half an hour, but the deck would be a wild guess at 3 hours ???
FWIW - I have a 'teakey' and it takes ~1/2 hour to 'slop on' a coat of SEMCO to the decks, anchor grate platform, cockpit seating and cockpit grates, I dont 'mask' and wipe up any 'drips' with a solvent loaded rag.

As far as deck scrubbing, you can use a stiff scrubbing brush on a concours quality automotive paint job too. For my decks I use an ultra soft bristle brush on a long pole and use pH neutral car wash soap - you just have wait a bit until the soap does the emulsifying and softening of the dirt.
I know sports fishing boats that use ScotchBright pads and bleach to clean the teak ... every damn time they get back to the harbor ..... and they entirely replace the teak every few years.

Last edited by RichH; 03-27-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook