View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking at buying a Discovery 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Jgb... too bad Victoria doesn't work for you:

CS 36 Traditional
You're telling me. I've been drooling over that ad for a while. That's exactly what I would like in a boat. Well put together, easy to handle and well maintained.

I'd even be willing to buy the motorboat currently for sale at the Co-op and work out a trade, even if it cost me 60-70k instead of 48. 140k more is pretty silly though.

There's quite a few nice boats around. I just can't find anything with moorage. If I could find a slip in Vancouver I'd get it right away, and sort out the boat part later.

I need to be not much more than 15KM from 1067 West Cordova street or Granville island. Realistic range to make my commute to work and school feasible by e-bike.

I wouldn't even mind living at anchor. I have showers and proper washrooms at work and school, and I can do laundry at my friends.
I spend all day at work watching the boats go by(I work in a tower near the convention center). I could quite easily get to and from work by water, my window directly faces the Chevron floating gas station.

I grew up reading Joshua Slocum, etc. Single handing was a large part of that dream.
In an ideal world I'd find the perfect boat first, then find a place to park it after. Rather than having to find the perfect place to park, and a boat to go with. I realize that may have been part of the confusion originally, I am looking for a floating home that I can live on, and that could be sailed around, rather than a boat I want to sail that I could live on.

If I could get even most of my money back I would be ok with buying and then reselling the '47 to reduce the operating costs but be able to live in the Co-op. Even if that required moving it, as it is with tanks topped off etc, my dad and I could easily take a few weeks off to get it somewhere it would be easier to sell.

Do good steel boats cost more up front and less to maintain/operate or more all around? How is their resale value? Vancouver is a funny place in that sense, at the going rates for moorage and repairs it looks like after 5-6 years the purchase price is the least expensive part of the whole thing.
I'd rather spend up front and save in the long term.

I'd still really like to get a rough idea of operating costs per month for any 40' sailboat vs the '47 to have some better idea of where the trade offs work out best one way or the other.

Last edited by Jgbrown; 03-27-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook