SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 101 course or challenge?
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA 101 course or challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
RTFM. These steps are in fact the boat handling part of the "correct actions" referred to in the last ASA standard:
"item 52: Describe and demonstrate the correct actions to be taken while under sail from the time a person falls overboard until safely recovered." Its what yoiu learn in 101 - anything else is not the ASA STANDARD.
I have RTFM. I probably wouldn't have a problem with the correct actions to get a MOB back on board, but I hope that I am not going to challenge with an instructor that thinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
It is relatively easy to fail someone if the instructor is so disposed. For example, do you want to bet several hundred dollars that you'll complete your first figure eight MOB exercise right on-the-spot...
This comment gets to the heart of the problems with "certification" in my opinion. Granted, an ASA101 certification is pretty much not worth more than the pride it gives to the receiver, but there should not be as much subjective grading as there is, especially if an instructor has an financial interest in failing a challenge student and "get sent to class" for another sum of cash. It smells of racket in this case.