SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Canada. Looking to plan a long trip, any help would be appreciated.
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012

Alsandair is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from Canada. Looking to plan a long trip, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the ideas!

While I plan to take the appropriate courses and try to gain practical experience as time goes on, I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions for me.

While I know that by the time I get to actually shopping for a ship, there will be different models of ships sailing and etc., making it foolish to settle on one now with the intention of buying in 6 years, I would like to ask everyone which type you'd recommend. If I end up buying a ship, it won't be for racing I'm sure, but rather for cruising. I'd probably want to end up with a ship that was versatile, but most of all, relatively stable.

Also, I've been noticing as I look up different ships, there are some with a wheel for steering, and others with only a rudder shaft. Is the wheel a luxury item, or merely preference?

I am realizing that perhaps around the world won't happen, not because I can't make it happen, but because I do worry about various countries' political instability, as well as the (as I've heard) growing number of pirate visits. But that doesn't deter me from at enjoying the Pacific!

Last edited by Alsandair; 03-28-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook