SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very curious about expenses
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 10-11-2006
Toyboat & Smart Captain:

You guys mention insurance at $200-$266. Is that boat insurance or health insurance.

I'm not sure how you can say that it is the same as living on land in a house or apt? I'm paying $725/mo for rent, utilities avg $75, car insurance is $100/mo, gas for car is at least $100/mo with moderate driving. I plan on living on the hook most of the time as I am a photographer and I will be constantly moving docking only to take more pics on land - plus I'll have pics that I can take from my boat as well as any islands I can row to. That's how will be making my money.

I was just talking to a buddy about a guy he met here in Philly that rents a slip under the Ben Franklin Bridge - $400/mo which includes electric, cable and high speed internet. If I keep my car that's a $400/mo reduction in expenses - $4800 annually. If I don't keep my car - $600/$7200 reduction in expenses. Living on the hook reduces those expenses even more - let's say by another $200 - $800/$9600 reduction. And living in a happening section of Philly with one bar that sells nothing but Belgium beer, other imports, and micro brewery beer - AND a club that features live original music - AND a bar that has 10 flat screens withthe ability to broadcast every football game at the same time - my "entertainment" expenses are very, very high. Gladly give that up or reduce - it's hard though - there's so many hot babes here in the Manayunk section of Philly. And that reduction would be easily be another $300 per month - that's now a reduction of $1100/mo or $13,200 annually.

So are you saying that all those reductions will be offset by $13,200 in boat maintenance and repair? I can see my health insurance will cut into that $1100 by ~ $200, but are you sure about all of that?

Anyone else's thoughts? Just need to know the reality so that I have the proper game plan

And to the 25 footer - you'll really need to go minimalist - I'm going to start on a Catalina 30 at first. I figure with my reduced expenses and photo revenues that I'll upgrade after "x" number of years.

Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome