SailNet Community - View Single Post - Very curious about expenses
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2006

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Toyboat & Smart Captain:

You guys mention insurance at $200-$266. Is that boat insurance or health insurance.

Esconditas:

I'm not sure how you can say that it is the same as living on land in a house or apt? I'm paying $725/mo for rent, utilities avg $75, car insurance is $100/mo, gas for car is at least $100/mo with moderate driving. I plan on living on the hook most of the time as I am a photographer and I will be constantly moving docking only to take more pics on land - plus I'll have pics that I can take from my boat as well as any islands I can row to. That's how will be making my money.

I was just talking to a buddy about a guy he met here in Philly that rents a slip under the Ben Franklin Bridge - $400/mo which includes electric, cable and high speed internet. If I keep my car that's a $400/mo reduction in expenses - $4800 annually. If I don't keep my car - $600/$7200 reduction in expenses. Living on the hook reduces those expenses even more - let's say by another $200 - $800/$9600 reduction. And living in a happening section of Philly with one bar that sells nothing but Belgium beer, other imports, and micro brewery beer - AND a club that features live original music - AND a bar that has 10 flat screens withthe ability to broadcast every football game at the same time - my "entertainment" expenses are very, very high. Gladly give that up or reduce - it's hard though - there's so many hot babes here in the Manayunk section of Philly. And that reduction would be easily be another $300 per month - that's now a reduction of $1100/mo or $13,200 annually.

So are you saying that all those reductions will be offset by $13,200 in boat maintenance and repair? I can see my health insurance will cut into that $1100 by ~ $200, but are you sure about all of that?

Anyone else's thoughts? Just need to know the reality so that I have the proper game plan

And to the 25 footer - you'll really need to go minimalist - I'm going to start on a Catalina 30 at first. I figure with my reduced expenses and photo revenues that I'll upgrade after "x" number of years.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook