SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 101 course or challenge?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA 101 course or challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandrian View Post
After searching my memory, I can honestly say that I don't believe I have ever been asked by any individual or organization if I have had passed ASA101 - except to take other ASA courses. At any rate, it's fun sailing past all of those huge Naval ships in San Diego Bay.
I have only been asked for it to charter a boat. But when I first wanted to learn how to sail, with no family or friends who sailed and no knowledge of local, inexpensive sailing clubs, it was the only option that I could see to get me on the road to reaching my goal. I'm sure there are others in that situation.

I hope we're not discouraging future sailors because taking the course is a learning experience. It's not always about getting the little sticker for your log book (and in the course I took, the PA state boating certificate as well).

In any event, I also see it as a way to pick the brain of a more experienced sailor. Something everyone should take advantage of whenever possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook