SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012

GBurton is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Surely there is something with my English I have said:

"Basically what I have said is that if you have the money to buy the better boats money can buy, go to one of the top NA that design the VOR 70, the Open 60 and the 40 class boats, and work with them with your criteria for a cruising boat."

For instance go near Bruce Farr and tell him that you want a boat with a soft motion, an easy going boat upwind, a bluewater boat and let him decide how to manage those characteristic without a big loss of speed or interior space.

I am assuming he knows a lo more than you and has the knowledge and is able to do a state of the art boat accordingly with your criteria.

A state of the art boat means not a racer but the best available solution, with today's technology and hydrodynamics knowledge, for a boat with the characteristics you want.

What I am saying is that is not going to be a full keel boat just because he knows that he doesn't need a full keel boat to obtain what you want and a full keel will make the boat unnecessarily slow.

Of course I am assuming that one of your criteria for a cruising boat is not a purposely slow boat.

Regards

Paulo
Those are a lot of assumptions.

I already have the boat with the characteristics that I want. For probably less than the cost of Bruce Farrs consulting fee. Not to mention the cost to build the boat.

His interpretation of what makes a good cruising boat may be different than mine.

Its not hard to understand.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook