SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yacht Evacuated Off Cape Sable Island (Canada)
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
re: Yacht Evacuated Off Cape Sable Island (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Mea Culpa
No problem, "to err is human"- or something like that. I just had the whole wrong idea of where the accident took place, apparently much closer to shore. Besides, if you weren't so honest, I'd have just figured it was the media, they never can get anything right!

I will say that at that time here in Maine we were having 30 knots gusting to 50 knots or more here at my house, for two days. And temps dropping into the teens (F.) after being in the 80's for a couple of days. On the road next to a nearby lake my wife's coworker had to drive over blood covered ice, where the wind pushed waves right over the road, and it froze into glare ice. Blood source unknown.

In fact, I'd been thinking how glad I was that I was NOT out in a boat of any sort.

And I've been following the "fin versus full keel" thread, because I've been enamored of a fin keel/spade rudder boat I looked at. That wind made me think that going for the most seakindly boat was the best idea, forget about speed. I value arriving, over arriving a bit sooner. Storms happen, and I admit big wind scares me even here on the land.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook