SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yacht Evacuated Off Cape Sable Island (Canada)
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
re: Yacht Evacuated Off Cape Sable Island (Canada)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
No problem, "to err is human"- or something like that. I just had the whole wrong idea of where the accident took place, apparently much closer to shore. Besides, if you weren't so honest, I'd have just figured it was the media, they never can get anything right!

I will say that at that time here in Maine we were having 30 knots gusting to 50 knots or more here at my house, for two days. And temps dropping into the teens (F.) after being in the 80's for a couple of days. On the road next to a nearby lake my wife's coworker had to drive over blood covered ice, where the wind pushed waves right over the road, and it froze into glare ice. Blood source unknown.

In fact, I'd been thinking how glad I was that I was NOT out in a boat of any sort.

And I've been following the "fin versus full keel" thread, because I've been enamored of a fin keel/spade rudder boat I looked at. That wind made me think that going for the most seakindly boat was the best idea, forget about speed. I value arriving, over arriving a bit sooner. Storms happen, and I admit big wind scares me even here on the land.
Big wind scares a lot of, if not most folks but within reason (Below full storm/hurricane force) it shouldn't. I've been out in steady 40K, gusting to 45K (top of a gale) and it was no problem (and I was on a HUNTER ). I wouldn't want to have to beat to windward in those conditions but as long as you have some choice of course to travel, it's just a wet and bumpy ride. If we'd been able to broad reach or go deeper it would have been one of the best BFS's ever. I'm not a particularly big risk taker either.

That's assuming a decent boat under you of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook