SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cleaning Metal and Stainless Anything fast?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning Metal and Stainless Anything fast?

I use AutoSol - it's a cream and it works very well - lots of stuff can be done simply by wiping it on and leaving it, even overnight. Then come back & buff. Sometimes you have to put some effort into the polishing.

Whenever I can - that tillerhead for example, I remove anything that blocks easy access - removing the tiller and bolts would make that job MUCH easier.

I spent a couple of hundred to get a proper long shaft polisher - effectively a bench grinder with extra longs shafts and big buffing wheels. It works like magic for polishing metal but the pieces have to be removed from the boat. Anyone restoring a boat would be well advised to get one - it gets used as much as any power tool I have except maybe my drills. That tillerhead would take about 5 minutes to be smoothed out, shiny and like new.

I think you can get very cheap ones from Harbour Freight in the States.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 03-28-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook