SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cleaning Metal and Stainless Anything fast?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning Metal and Stainless Anything fast?

Here are some before & after shots of what a proper buffer can do very easily and far quicker than hand polishing if parts have been neglected. The best part is it doesn't merely remove surface oxidation and stains but actually smooths out the metal - scratches and so forth. It isn't really a tool for maintenance since the parts have to come off the boat and go home with you but if you are getting in deep with your work, I can't recommend one too highly.

The polished surface lasts a lot longer than when using the creams & pastes as well, especially if you put a coat of wax on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18. Compass - before.jpg (41.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 18A. Compass - after.jpg (48.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 34C. Mastead fitting - after.jpg (42.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 34D. Masthead fitting - after #2.jpg (45.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 35B. Mizzen Mast Tangs - Before & After #2.jpg (29.9 KB, 16 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook