SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cleaning Metal and Stainless Anything fast?
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Re: Cleaning Metal and Stainless Anything fast?

Well, I warmed up some stainless indoors by the woodstove and tried my new Spotless Stainless. Here are my impressions.

It was quite thick, almost like glycerin or a thin jell or wet creamy looking paste. So it goes on fairly thick, I did not buy way too much (I have a good 1600 lbs of stainless, most of it two sided - not the boat). I should have gotten a gallon.

I brought in a 40 lb assembly and let it warm up. I was doing a 14 inch disc shape with rust stains from salt and an iron shaft. As northerners know, heating a house when the outdoors is cold and dry makes bone dry air in the house. So my paste was flash drying as I applied it. You are not supposed to let it dry.

That forced me to take some wet paper towel and wipe around to keep it damp. Essentially, I was not allowing the recommended 30 min. of letting it work, I was giving it about 5-8 minutes, less when you figure I was really wiping it off with the damp paper towel. The operative word is wiping, I was keeping it damp, not scrubbing with a cloth.

Then I took it outside and rinsed it with water as recommend. When it dried, even though I did it all wrong, the rust stains and dirt were gone. It was much brighter. In fact, I could see my reflection in the steel!

Conclusion: I'll do it in the shade on a humid, preferably foggy or drizzly summery day. For small items if you don't mind hanging around you could probably just mist it every now and then. Best part, it did not require buffing, which is worth plenty to me, so I think I'll like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook