SailNet Community - View Single Post - Grounding on purpose
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Grounding on purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakAwayFL View Post
Thanks for all of the extremely helpful information. My boat is a fin keel, but the tides here are only about 1' in most locations, so I think I might give it a shot. I just hopes she'll float off on the high tide!
Not to belabour the obvious but be sure to check the tide tables beforehand to make sure the higher tide is the later tide. Neglect this and dry out at the top of a spring tide and you might be there a long time.

Quote:
My main concern was, is it safe to the physical structure of the boat to have the weight on the keel? Based on what I am seeing and reading, it seems to not be uncommon practice, if less common here, so I would gather the answer to be yes.
When a fin keel boat (or any boat for that matter) is on the hard with cradles or struts under it, the large majority of the weight rests on the keel. The cradle, struts, legs etc. are really only props, not load bearing members. If they are overloaded and carry significant weight, they can deform or even punch through the hull, so yes, the keel can take it.

A more significant concern with fin keels is the boat being bow or stern heavy relative to the keel bottom - this can be a problem when drying alongside or on a tide grid - the boat can tilt forward or backward instead of standing level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook