SailNet Community - View Single Post - Grounding on purpose
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Grounding on purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
If you are just looking to clean the bottom there is no need to careen or actually ground the boat. When I was in northwest Florida the tide was typically less than 8 inches. When I wanted to clean the bottom without donning the scuba gear and diving at the dock I would anchor fore and aft in 6-7 feet of water grab the snorkel and mask and take my time cleaning and inspecting.
This is actually probably the BEST way with warm water like is in FL. Local here in teh nw US, water is 40-42F year around, so snorkling is a dry suit affair per say.

WIth that, if you have a fin keel, there are some stilts one can get for either side of the boat, you put at the four corners and a fin keel can rest on the ground with area's of bigger tides as mentioned, ala 12-14' as we get here in the salish sea, bigger the farther north one seems to go to a point!

I've seen pics of a 40'ish foot Jeanneau with a 6.5' keel resting against a dock in the UK, with no issues before or after doing a cleaning and bottom job.

marty