SailNet Community - View Single Post - $ Cruising ??
Thread: $ Cruising ??
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: $ Cruising ??

This thread is a month old I know, but forgive me for bumping it as I think this is one of those topics that Cruisers-to-be stress about. We certainly did.

I believe that cruising is not that dissimilar to life on land. It essentially costs as much as you are willing or able to pay for it...you can live in a apartment, ride a bike and eat what is fresh/seasonal and cheap, or you can live in a mansion with every conceivable gadget, drive a BMW and eat and drink yourself silly.

Having said that it pays to be realistic about expectations as well and what cruising is about for you. If you enjoy eating out at home chances are you probably will enjoy it cruising. If you are into gadgets, you will probably want a boat full of them. If your wife needs certain comforts then sailing off into the blue yonder in a boat with no refridgeration and a cramped cabin might end your cruise prematurely.

Our mistakes????
We underestimated the amount of time we would spend in Marinas, that's not to say that we have spent huge amounts of time in them necessarily, but it added up quickly. Bad weather leading to a decision to stay put in a Marina for a few days would blow that month's budget to shatters....we are now careful about Marina's but they for us are still sometimes a necessary evil.

I didn't know enough about boat stuff. While we were preparing the boat it became very obvious that 'calling a man'( my wife's catchphrase for when I couldn't fix something) would bankrupt us before we even left the dock. Professionals also sometimes have different priorities to you( why should they try to fix your old windlass when they are a dealer for Muir??) I have been on a steep learning curve ever since, and saved myself thousands in the process.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook