SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gelcoat sealants & silicone
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Gelcoat sealants & silicone

Hi everyone,

I've finally had the time to focus on the 60 feet of 1965 era gelcoat hull on my 30 foot Alberg. Thanks to Bar Keepers Friend, all the stains are gone and is starting to look pretty good. Plenty of nicks and scratches after all these year, but I'll ignore those for now. I'm just looking to get it white and shiny.

I still need to polish a bit more to bring up the shine, but afterwards I need something to seal the gelcoat. It seems that others are happy with wax but I'd like to try a polymer sealant. I've been using Fleetwax paste the last couple years and I don't like it. When it gets warm, even in Maine, it gets soft and picks up dirt. By August it looks like a dirty floor and is difficult to clean.

Anyway, when looking into the polymer sealants (Nu-Finish) and others, it appears that they all contain silicone, which I'd like to avoid since I may eventually give up the battle and paint the topsides. However, now that I'm looking into it, it appears that silicone is used in many, if not most compounding, polishing, wax and sealing products.

Anyone know of a gelcoat sealant that does not contain silicone? I'm also wondering if these silicone emulsion products are simply easier to clean from the surface than silicone sealant.

PK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook