SailNet Community - View Single Post - 5 basic reefing tips, whats yours.
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Re: 5 basic reefing tips, whats yours.

Well, this is a great thread. I have picked up lots from all I have read.

I have just repaired my spinnaker[assym] and put it into a new 'sock'. Itching to try it out but today is 20-25kn so, not today for me.

I shortened the spinnaker pole to just shy of the furler and I know this is too short for the foot of the 150% or the spinnaker, but at 18'6", any longer and ít was too heavy for a singlehander. Also I can gybe or tack with the spin pole out and it just swings [under control] across and out the other side. How much speed have I lost - dont know, dont care as I am usually close to hull speed anyway.

As fir the mainsail, I have had singleline and I have had a boom furler, but have reverted back (years ago) to plain old slab reefing with a cunningham. Its simple, does not fail and only takes seconds longer and is light weight if, as I do, you are overwinched.

Actually, that is probably my only addition to the conversation - I have winches that would suit a boat half as long again and the same goes for the ground tackle and windlass.

Not the best photo, but these are the spinnaker/150% winch and the inner jib or 100% genny sheet winch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook