SailNet Community - View Single Post - What sailing knife do you use?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What sailing knife do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Med, I dive knife's hook is really designed for fishing line. I thought titanium alloy didn't hold an edge very well either. Titanium coated is okay.
Mini,

Thanks for this. I did some homework and apparently there are several titanium alloys being used. The best alloy for knife sharpness/hardness is a beta alloy which is still 100% corrosion resistant. Beta alloy is what's used in the Winoka knife. Some knife fanatics over on knife/blade forums seem to approve of the titanium alloy used in this knife. They also report that it appears the knife is made in Japan (a definite plus). If it's good enough for them, it's more than good enough for me since I'm not a knife nut. Also, since I'm not prone to babying my tools, I figure a corrosion free knife is more likely to be a sharp knife for me.

I'll take a look at the hook when I get it. Even if it's a bit small for rope, one full side of the blade is serrated which should work well for rope.

I ordered the knife today and will post a review once I have played with it for a while.

MedSailor

From knifeforums.com:
"Welcome to KF

AFAIK Wenoka is the name for a range of knives, it is not the name of the company. The name may have been derived/corrupted from one of the lesser known Native American tribes since most of the more popular names (Apache, Commanche, Sioux.....) have already been taken. Not sure where they lived except it was almost certainly north of Mexico and south of Canada

Actual company is Deep See, which is parto of the Aqual Lung Group

Deep See: Part of the Aqua Lung Family of Brands

Their Ti range uses beta-Titanium, which is the most advanced Ti that's available commercially."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 03-31-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook