SailNet Community - View Single Post - Are you a do-it-yourselfer?
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Are you a do-it-yourselfer?

The marketing industry in this country has put a lot of time and effort into getting people to believe it is better to buy something new and/or have something done for you... that accomplished people are now led to believe that they are incapable of doing for themselves. I built a table for my boat, cherry and teak w/brass hardware and a jade inlay... a neighbor of mine (who is excessively homophobic) said it looked "really gay", it was explained to me that this was actually a complement .... no "normal" person would go to that much trouble to make their place look that good.
When I told someone I had just bought a spoke shave they couldn't figure out what I why...I just spent all morning making a dish towel bar out of a scrap of cherry...when I would have taken 5 minutes to buy a pine dowel at the hardware store.
What really bugs me is when people offer a solution to what I am trying to do prefaced by either "Why do you just buy..." or "Just have someone...".
Someone once commented on the work I am doing "You're lucky you have the skills...", any skills I have I picked up on my own after I started.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 03-31-2012 at 11:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook