SailNet Community - View Single Post - Georgia Livaboards Org
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012

safira is on a distinguished road
Re: Georgia Livaboards Org

Someone asked how this law became ... after chatting with the DNR boys at brunswick here is the answer to that question ... Back when the freeway was being put in ... i would assume the 60's or 70's they sold the barges to a lot of different people that were used to transport equip and parts ... so hence a lot of people decided to put shacks and such on the barges and take up residence ... the pollution on the river areas, I think the Satilla was mentioned, got so bad that this is how the government took action.....
they not only targeted the people on the barges but also all the stilt houses along the rivers to deal with the dumping of untreated sewage in the waterways .... or at least this is what I found out so far.
As to the public opinion poll ... it does not matter what you feel ... this is a bad law and the state looses money all the time because of it, but you have to realize that you are not dealing with people that are very intelligent with the boaters needs ... you can not fight city hall is a old saying that comes to mind, everyone knows it very well, but did you ever read the next passage after that, " but you can sure doo doo on the the doorstep" ...
target the city and state officials and you may get something changed .... the bit with you need to apply or a permit now that is just plain stupid, and we thought Florida was getting bad, some of it is rubbing off on Georgia now .... time to find a place with less B.S. .... wish me luck, I will probaly need it!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook