SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

My full keel boat was commissioned to be a single handed ocean cruiser, fast sea worthy and easy to handle on all points of sail, granted there isn't enough room to swing a cat, but I don't have cats on board and I choose grace over space. A friend of mine in talking about his Catalina 30 (a fin keel boat) commented that even though it took a lot more work to sail at sea and wasn't as "sea kindly" his wife likes the extra room. If you are wondering which boat will be easier to handle at sea a full keel wins hands down...that said some will not get out of their own way in a calm and not all point well...but this also applies to to some fin keel boats. Some of the best ocean cruiser designs are "old school" designs which some consider to be obsolete because they do not emulate modern day racers as closely. I would take my boat to sea ahead of 95% of the boats in the harbor...she is safe, easy to handle, comfortable and tracks well on all points of sail...tending the helm is relaxing (some of the fin keels out there require 100% of your attention at all times) and the tiller can be lashed rather than using high tech gadgets and gizmos.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 04-01-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook