SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012

Location: S/V Waltzing Matilda, Port Ludlow, WA (NW Puget Sound)
wolfenzee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
What kind of boat Wolfenzee?...i just was lucky enuff to obtain a Columbia 40 for the right price...she needs lots of deck re-hab...but otherwise seemed a good bet as her rigging, spars and engine and sails are good from what I can tell...I know there will be a few surprises.... but she has a partial full keel and C/B.

Keel has 8,400 lbs lead...and C/B can drop her draft to 9 feet...4.5 feet when board is up. Charlie Morgan design..(1964) for Columbia and only 10.5 beam..plenty of room but sea-kindly lines...What I am getting at is hearing you talk about your old girl makes me itch to see how this boat handles...(wheel-steering) but also "emergency tiller" access plate at rudderpost head...
I can't wait to see how she tracks...after reading your post above...standing on her deck mid-river with gusts to 20 mph she seemed to almost not move..back to the tracking..,interested to see if I can "lash off" the helm easily like you spoke of... instead of flirting with the autopilot(if it works) or self-steering(doesn't have..maybe doesnt need?)
Anyways..I am in love and lust..can't wait to get her near me..she's lying 80 miles away...awaiting P/O to send fuel injectors he already purchased...(already has new injector pump he installed)...and it's a 1988 engine Universal diesel 24 hp(kubota) ..a little underpowered for a 19,000 lb boat but... it seems is just a marinized version of kubota tractor engine that should be easy to get stock parts for from local kubota tractor dealerexcept for some certain ones...
Atkin & Co. - Captain Cicero
Designed by William Atkin in 1936, the rig was modified boom was cut down from 18ft and raised, foot is now 15ft with a 37ft luff, permanent back stay was added (keeping the running back stays), cap shrouds and spreaders were added to the existing lower and intermediate shrouds, head stay was made detachable so a larger sail could be flown on the top stay ( a pad eye on deck was added so the head stay and top stay are parallel making it a cutter rig), head stay luff 29' top stay luff 40', mast is 3 piece laminated Sitka spruce 45' head off the water. The boat was designed to have an Atomic 4 but was re-powered with a Vetus M415 (33hp Mitsubishi based diesel) with a 16" three bladed prop...a 2200rpm the stern is squatted down and the boat moves at 7knots using less than 3/4 gph. 3200lbs of lead with an 1000lbs added in the form of a lead shoe. A boomkin was added at onetime for a self-steering vane but the it was discovered she will sail for just fine with a lashed tiller.
I have done a complete rebuild of the cabin, added two-speed winched to the two single speed that are there, new standing rigging and replaced the tired old SS chain plates with 954 bronze...beefier and will hold up better.

Last edited by wolfenzee; 04-01-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook