SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
My full keel boat was commissioned to be a single handed ocean cruiser, fast sea worthy and easy to handle on all points of sail, granted there isn't enough room to swing a cat, but I don't have cats on board and I choose grace over space. A friend of mine in talking about his Catalina 30 (a fin keel boat) commented that even though it took a lot more work to sail at sea and wasn't as "sea kindly" his wife likes the extra room. ....
Has have been pointed out the cost of a boat and partly its seaworthiness have to do with weight. you should compare, as Marty as done, your boat with a boat of a similar weight, not length.

If you do that the story would be completely different in what regards interior space, seaworthiness, speed and even sea motion. Your boat has the advantage of mass for length (for the ones that prefer that kind of motion) but the big disadvantage of a much shorter LWL and that, as also have been pointed out, is very important in what concerns wave passage and the pitching movement of the boat.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook