SailNet Community - View Single Post - Homemade navigation housing
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Homemade navigation housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I just did a bit more reading,..... I'd be interested to know what you find out.
As would I... btw I made our table our of 1/2" material and would upgrade that next time.. it's too flexible and without stiffeners will bend and not hold its shape. I've added stiffeners beneath the table and its "OK" but not as stiff or stable as I envisioned. Friends have a 3/4" thick table that is much more solid feeling.. 5/8" might be a compromise if available.

As to table saw cutting, I didn't have a joinery blade so that may be part of the issue.. the sawn edges were quite rough looking. whereas the routered edges came out beautifully.

For fastening I used SS screws.. you could probably sink and plug them as you would a teak table if you wanted to. But it will be very interesting to hear how any attempts at gluing this 'slippery stuff' goes! Keep us posted...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook