SailNet Community - View Single Post - My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012

PaulSims is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaulSims
Re: My 1st boat, 1979 22 Catalina, swing keel...need some advice

Looks good, I'm working on a project of my own. Spend your money on the hardware. "Looks" can always be addressed down the road. As long as there are no leaks or soft spots, you should be good to go. Cable on the keel is a must, and at the very least, running lights if you're planning on being out after dark.

Couple upgrades to look into: upgrading that bow eye to the U-bolt design, especially if you're going to be winching it up on the trailer alot (just get it from Catalina Direct, it's easier than piecing it together). Take that single post eye, and throw it in the garbage. Could end up being a nightmare if it fails while you're trying to get it back on the trailer.

A single line reefing system is fairly inexpensive and good to have in case you get caught in bad weather.

Probably wouldn't hurt to stick a pin in that rudder that you can pop in and out easily. Gets a little hairy, if that rudder comes up in rough conditions. And they are a little too long to leave locked down all the time if you're going to be launching off a trailer.