SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Went through the whole thing (FSR, compound, polish, wash), followed instructions to the letter. I bought the Makita and all the recommended pads and products (all 3M). Set me back close to 300.- Was it worth it?

ABSOLUTELY!

A BIG thanks to Mainesail! I can truly say that my boat hasn't looked this good for as long as I own it (>10 years). This is a 1976 32' Columbia. Took about 2 whole days and I slept very well after each of them. Excellent upper-body exercise!

A question: As I said, I followed all instructions to the letter. However, when I was doing the waxing, I wondered whether microfiber rags are really the best for this, rather than terrycloth. I totally see that microfibers are better for compounding and polishing since the goal is to remove the product. However, for waxing the primary goal is to spread the wax finely (and, secondarily, remove excess). Wouldn't terry cloth even better for this?

I am now hunting for a smaller pad. I read through the thread and some were recommended but after purchasing the Makita, I sure don't want to buy another tool (like a Metabo angle polisher). So I am just looking for a 3" or 4" pad for smaller areas on the deck that will fit on either the Makita (preferably) or, if necessary, on a power drill or my Porter Cable random orbit sander. If anyone has a suggestion, lemme know.

A note. I was amazed at the number of microfiber rags I needed for compounding. Close to 20, I guess. A lot less in the other stages, maybe a half dozen for polishing and 3 for waxing. I also used nearly a bottle of compound (what are they, a pint maybe?) and perhaps 1/4 of the Finesse-It bottle (which is a lot bigger, maybe a half gallon?).

Anyway, again thanks to MaineSail. You rock!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook