SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012

bbremer10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

So, did not get up to Ventura to look at that Cat30 boat. I am realizing that for $12k I'll be looking at 30 foot boats that need some significant fixing, or at least sprucing up. The original reason for looking for a 30 footer is that that is what has been recommended as the more comfortable size to make the San Pedro channel crossing to Catalina with my family aboard. But, realistically, I'll never get my wife to make that 5-6 hour crossing on a sailboat. So, I went on a tangent and found what I thought would be a decent power boat ( am I allowed to utter that phrase here?). Wife seemed more interested in participating with a V8 attached to the hull. Looked at the boat. Seemed solid given its age. Nice marine Power V8 about 6years old (ad said, "New motor!") attached to a Volvo Penta Duoprop drive of unknown vintage. Took it for a spin around the harbor, on plane for just a couple seconds in the harbor mouth. Everything sounded good. Agreed to write up a purchase agreement with deposit and do a full-on mechanical and marine survey. The survey was going along just fine. Just the usual stuff one would expect of an older vessel, but the engine was good. But when we hauled her out it turns out only one prop was driving the boat. The other was just free wheeling on its shaft. An expensive fix. And this would prevent us from doing a sea trial as the boat would never get up to top speed with only one prop driving the boat. I told the seller I'd like to price out repairs and decide if I am willing to purchase the boat without a sea trial. I decided, no. He can fix his boat and then offer it up for sale again, but I'm not gonna buy a boat without a sea trial. Not even if it's free. Now he's trying a counter offer and not giving me back my deposit as required by the offer to purchase agreement. His counter offer involves me pitching in to replace the props so we can do a sea trial. My last message to him stated i was not interested in fixing HIS boat. I'm not too worried about getting my deposit back. I know how to collect money, but jeez, what a douche. Lesson learned. Back to looking for a sailboat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook