SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

bbremer10:
That's sounds like a very good way to get started.

I started with a 23 foot sailboat in that price range with basic overnight amenities that had no issues other than cosmetics. "Dinkin" around for a couple summers in that boat honed my sailing, boat handling, and maintainance skills and got my wife absolutely hooked not only on sailing, but on a bigger boat that would comfortably overnight more than two adults and be a better refuge for hours or days at the slip when the weather was bad. It's nice when your other half is already on board when you broach the subject of a bigger boat.

The only problems I had were outboard motor-related and the only thing I would have done differently would have been to junk the old motor that came with the boat immediately and buy a new or at least reliable outboard right from the start.

Again, this sounds like a logical, low-risk way to get started. Motor sounds like a good deal as well. I would have found a 30-35 foot boat extremely intimidating if I'd started out with that. After a couple of years on the 23 footer, moving up was easy . . . for both of us.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook