SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 04-02-2012 Thread Starter
bbremer10

Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobnets View Post
bbremer10:
That's sounds like a very good way to get started.

I started with a 23 foot sailboat in that price range with basic overnight amenities that had no issues other than cosmetics. "Dinkin" around for a couple summers in that boat honed my sailing, boat handling, and maintainance skills and got my wife absolutely hooked not only on sailing, but on a bigger boat that would comfortably overnight more than two adults and be a better refuge for hours or days at the slip when the weather was bad. It's nice when your other half is already on board when you broach the subject of a bigger boat.

The only problems I had were outboard motor-related and the only thing I would have done differently would have been to junk the old motor that came with the boat immediately and buy a new or at least reliable outboard right from the start.

Again, this sounds like a logical, low-risk way to get started. Motor sounds like a good deal as well. I would have found a 30-35 foot boat extremely intimidating if I'd started out with that. After a couple of years on the 23 footer, moving up was easy . . . for both of us.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Thanks for that feedback. Plus, in this case, I know the pedigree on the outboard. The dive shop at Two Harbors sells their little outboards every two years just a matter of policy, regardless of hours used. This one was sold off after 10 hours.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome