SailNet Community - View Single Post - Living Aboard!
Thread: Living Aboard!
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Re: Living Aboard!

Just make it happen. My wife and I are in our late twenties and we wish we had done this earlier. We both quit our jobs in Atlanta two months ago, moved to St. Pete Florida, bought a boat (26 foot pearson) and moved on with our dog and cat. If the two of us can live on a 26 foot boat with a dog and cat, your 20 year old self could do it no problem.

We had ZERO sailing experience when we purchased the boat. ZERO! We take it out every chance we get and are loving the experience. If you go for it, good or bad, you will have memories that you never forget and you wont regret it. If you let the opportunity pass it will just be another "I remember when I almost.."

If I have any advice to give its buy the boat and live on it for a while at a marina with easy access to sailing opportunities. It will give you a chance to understand the boat before throwing yourself out to the mercy of mother nature. We chose downtown St. Pete and we are having an incredible time. Had we chose to live in some po dunk marina in a $hithole town the wife and I would have not be enjoying it as much.

Create a blog for family and friends to keep track and for your memories when you get old and forget. We have a blog for family and friends to follow and they really enjoy keeping up, If you are interested in reading about our journey its at thewildjasmine.com.

Good Luck to you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook