SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I was sailing this last friday and winds were 25 knots gusts to over 30. I had a inexperienced crew on board so I decided to just use the furled jib brought out about 1/3 way or less. With this sail I could only sail about 60 or 70 degrees off ture wind direction. I was being pushed off the wind by 5 foot seas coming from the direction of the wind, but I was hoping to make better windward direction than this. Would you say this is normal for mast head sloop? With the main and jib I can sail about 40 degress or sometimes closer to true wind directioin.
Those conditions would overpower me and I wouldn't be out in them. Remember, I have a Catalina 25....I need to reef the main once we're steady above 20....at 25/30g I'd need a fully reef'd main and a storm jib, like a 75 or smaller. Combine that with 5' seas....yeah, no. Too much for me by myself in such a small boat. Now, if I was in a big nice 36-38 footer.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook