SailNet Community - View Single Post - Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?

Well I sail a 44 foot cutter singlehanded a lot of the time. Roller furling headsail, hanked on staysail and the main is slab reefed. I have a Mack sails stack pack dutchmen style set up on the main. All halyards are on the mast. When I first got the boat I played around with it and found it would tack OK with just the main.

So if in a situation where I am engineless and need to put the boat somewhere under sail. The genoa would get furled, and I would then drop the staysail and tie it up. I would then work it up to where I want it to be having centralised the traveller so the main is self tacking. Right spot, head to wind the anchor goes down, I might back wind the main to back down on the anchor. I then would release the mainsail halyard and the main rattles down into the mack pack in seconds with a little assistance.

I had to do this for real once when the pulley fell of the raw water pump. I did have the comfort of knowing I could run the engine at low rpm for maybe 5 mins but it was not necessary.

I have also picked up a mooring under sail but two up. I reckon I could do it single handed if needs be.

Marinas and tight docks = no way would I try that, I would anchor off and get a tow in. Too expensive if you get it wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook