SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compresion post repaired
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012
Deck Hand

gknott is on a distinguished road
Re: Compresion post repaired

I'll have a shot at some answers but "experienced" is probably an overstatement of my qualifications. First, even if the fix gets nasty, stick with it because the boat is worth the effort. The Islander 28 is a sound and sweet-sailing boat. What year is your hull because your pictures show something a little different from what I see? For example, the 5/16" difference between the two cross-members doesn't exist on my hull. If I were to do things over again (besides using dielectic materials) I would have pulled the mast rather than jacking it up. We pulled the mast later anyway and I was impressed with how much easier and less nerve-wracking it was not having the jacking system in the way and the mast poised above my head when I repaired the mast base. In my opinion, the plywood-under -compression has got to disappear no matter what - it's just trouble waiting to happen. The all-steel post is a good way to go but it may obliterate the corner of the head bulkheads. The infamous 4"x4" post seems to be in the way so a lot of cabinet work may be needed to put things right. I wasn't worried about keeping everything plumb because the 4"x4" post seemed very firmly attached to the bulkheads, one of which is tabbed to the hull and I had also bolted it to the steel post. I think the entire assembly needs to flex and move a little under heavy conditions and I'm not so certain that everything rigid and firmly attached is the best idea. However, I must admit that the thought of my mast slipping off the compression post and shooting like an arrow through the bottom of the hull is a bit terrifying. My fix seems to be working even after we have been bounced around so I guess it's still better to be lucky than good. I'll try and keep my promise of pictures. Off-topic but how do you intend to deal with the missing vinyl headliner? Maybe on another thread?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook