SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Live aboard dream right out of college?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012

WildJasmine is on a distinguished road
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

As someone who is somewhat doing what you want to do, I would suggest buying a small boat, learn the basics and make sure that this is the lifestyle for you, Then buy the bigger boat capable of crossing oceans.

My wife and I are young, (late twenties) have a good deal of experience on the water (not sailing, powerboats) and we are working our way up to an intracoastal cruise. We would not even dream of doing a transcontinental without a whole lot more experience.

Example: A young guy with little experience in our marina recently bought a very well equipped cruiser thinking he was going to "sail around the world". His idea was to take it from St Pete Florida to the Keys to visit family then head out on his journey. Things started going wrong and even though he had planned for years, he had no idea what to do. He eventually had to call for a tow and $1200 later he is in the keys and I am guessing his plans of sailing around the world have changed.

Not trying to kill your dreams, just be more realistic. Buy a smaller boat, we live on a 26 Pearson with a dog and a cat. Smaller boats are cheap everywhere, we found ours on craigslist for $3400 in great condition. Build your skills over a few years. Then buy your big boat capable of crossing oceans

Last edited by WildJasmine; 04-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook