SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Live aboard dream right out of college?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

Skyreep, My wife and I bought a 30' sloop when we were right out of college and all we owned would fit in our car. There are plenty of strong, sound hull, used boats that can be "offshore" boats in your future with rigging and sail refits. In my opinion it's a myth that there is a line that separates "coastal" and "offshore" boats. Some are unfit, in poor condition, or poorly equipted, but there is no distinct difference by manufacturer. It is possible for you to purchase a boat that will be an offshore boat in the future. I would favor a full to 3/4 encapsulated keel with chainplates that can be accessed on a boat that my even be from the 70's or 80's that passes a good survey. This can be a boat that lacks sound rigging, sails, electrical system or motor.....not lacking all, but one disaster area can make the price very low. Another requirement for this plan to work would be that you a capable of taking on the challenges of maintenance and refit by your own skills and learning while not paying others to maintain your boat. Our forty years of liveaboard cruising have given us more in all aspects of our lives. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook