SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Live aboard dream right out of college?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyreep View Post
Hello Everybody, I just wanted to ask a couple questions.

I'm 19 years old, I live in North Carolina, I'm a Combat Medic in the North Carolina National Guard. My dream has always been a transcontinental cruise, particularly spending time in Greece, Japan, India, and South America. I joined the NCARNG so that I could begin my career as an Emergency Medical Professional, and save some money.
My questions begin in the vague planning of my time abroad. I really can't afford an eccentric plan with a yacht and 4 star restaurants on every continent, however I want to be able to do it without being miserable. So my first question is, what's the least expensive way to begin living aboard? Even if I were docked and living on a boat, I would rather be living on a boat off the coast of North Carolina than in an apartment. So is it realistic to consider calling docks about basically repossessed boats? Or would it be less expensive to consider using my time as a soldier to slowly construct my own cruiser? Perhaps just a used boat? Thank you so much for all your input!

Also, what is a good minimum size for a global cruiser for 2 occupants? 30' ?
I think your best bet, as others have mentioned is to buy a used coastal cruiser, live aboard, cruise on the weekends/vacations and finish your education.

If you buy something decent enough, you can probably sell it for at least 75% of your purchase price.

That being said, YOU have to decide what your budget is.
How much do you want to spend on a boat?
How much can you afford for monthly slip fees?

Yes, you COULD live on the hook, but it will complicate things.
i.e.: You are have to cram for exams and it's blowing 40 - 50 knots, raining and you have to keep an anchor watch all night. Good luck with your test, one night like this could blow a semester.

Life in a slip could mean hot showers every day, marina wifi, power for your laptop, etc.

If you are really lucky maybe you can find a friendly marina that will help you out by trying to rent your slip every weekend and you can hang on the hook or cruise.

IMHO If you shop around 7K - 12K should get you something decent enough to live on.
1970's vintage:
C&C 30 MKI
Catalina 30
Pearson 30
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook