SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Live aboard dream right out of college?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

I was also going to recommend the book that Medsailor posted above. Note that those boats are smaller than the ones you mentioned...and I guess I would recommend that you consider something in those smaller sizes. I don't have a whole lot of experience either, but the size boats you mentioned don't seem to me to square up with the budget or experience level.

One interesting idea from another thread was to drive around to all the marinas in your area, and look for suitable boats with registration stickers that expired several years ago. Get the names of those boat owners and make them an offer.

Have you considered checking to see if you can get a slip on a military base in the area? There appear to be two on Camp Lejeune, and I believe Cherry Point has one as well. That might make a decent boat affordable for you right now. Spend two weeks on her to see if living aboard is right for you.

Finally, in my opinion the proper term would be "trans-oceanic." For a trans-continental trip I believe you'd want the Jeep forum. But maybe that's a special use of the word among boat folk that I'm not aware of.

Last edited by scratchee; 04-03-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook