SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Live aboard dream right out of college?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012

skyreep is on a distinguished road
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

I believe you're right about trans-oceanic. I apologize, and also I'm not on base actually, since I'm national guard I'll be back at home in NC with the exception of one weekend per month when I have to drill at my armory. Although those boats are large for my experience level and current needs, I would rather buy one boat and take more time, classes, etc, to be well versed in it, than have to deal with the boat market to size up after only a couple of years. I would much rather but what I will need for future endeavors, as the extra length would also give me more living space in the time leading up to any trans-oceanic cruising. I would like to find the 36-38 range because it's not so big it's unmanageable and at the same time it's large enough for blue water, and large enough to provide (unneeded but still appreciated) creature comforts such as short showers, decent sized galley, plenty of headroom etc.

I might be wrong here, and I'm not trying to seem adamant, I just don't want to invest in a boat only to turnaround in 3 years and try to flip it for a larger boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook