SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Live aboard dream right out of college?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: The Live aboard dream right out of college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyreep View Post
Hello Everybody, I just wanted to ask a couple questions.

I'm 19 years old, I live in North Carolina, I'm a Combat Medic in the North Carolina National Guard. My dream has always been a transcontinental cruise, particularly spending time in Greece, Japan, India, and South America. I joined the NCARNG so that I could begin my career as an Emergency Medical Professional, and save some money.
My questions begin in the vague planning of my time abroad. I really can't afford an eccentric plan with a yacht and 4 star restaurants on every continent, however I want to be able to do it without being miserable. So my first question is, what's the least expensive way to begin living aboard? Even if I were docked and living on a boat, I would rather be living on a boat off the coast of North Carolina than in an apartment. So is it realistic to consider calling docks about basically repossessed boats? Or would it be less expensive to consider using my time as a soldier to slowly construct my own cruiser? Perhaps just a used boat? Thank you so much for all your input!

Also, what is a good minimum size for a global cruiser for 2 occupants? 30' ?
I like this kid.

Lots of good advice here, the boat advice i will add is be careful of a disease that many newbies pick up- "LOA creep." Here you are in post 1 asking about a "good minimum size... 30'?", then by page 3 you are talking about "eyeballing 37-42' Morgans."

My wife and I bought a pompous little pig of a 23 foot cruiser with the intention of buying or building a larger boat next season...
That was in 2008.
We still have the same boat.
It has adapted to us, and we have adapted to her, over the years, to the point that the two of us and our two dogs are comfortable aboard from May-October, without shorepower or pressure water.

The bigger the boat, the bigger the costs, and while a perfectly serviceable boat under 30' LOA can be found under $5K, sometimes free, any boat OVER 30' LOA in the same bottom feeder price bracket is gonna be much closer to being on the bottom... and the costs to bring her back to acceptable will break your heart, your budget, your back and your dreams. A general rule of thumb is that just about every item or task on a 35' boat is TWICE as expensive as the same job or item on a 25' boat- painting, rigging, sails, electrical, etc.

Catalina 27, Cherubini Hunter 27 or 30, Grampian 30, Ericson 27, Oday 27, Pearson 26 are all solid choices in the sub $10k bracket which will serve you well for your purposes, not gross out prospective girlfriends (trust me, you find out who the keepers are when they learn that they have to pump the head... every time.) or alarm your parents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook