SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012

bbremer10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
By a coincidence I was at the yard last Friday to pick up our boat (bottom painting) and there was a restored E-23 Mk2 on a trailer there! Owner had brought it in for some thru hull work, they said. As the smallest Bruce King-designed boat from Ericson Yachts, it looks as nice as ever...
There are enthusiastic owners of this model over at EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!, and there's at least one other E-23 web site as well.

With the construction and engineering of the larger Ericsons, it's quite a classic pocket cruiser.

As far as hull size... we spent five years cruising and class racing a Ranger 20. Loved every minute of it. Then came a decade in a fast 26 footer performance cruiser. Since '94 we've been cruising our 34 footer.

Unsolicited Advice from up here in the third balcony: Buy a smaller high quality boat and keep it a while and sail the heck out of it. There are a LOT of unhappy owners out there with large cheapie-build boats that are neither any fun to sail not inexpensive to maintain as their poorly-engineered hulls, rigs, and internal parts fail in a premature old age.
Try to buy all the quality you can afford in the smallest boat that will meet your real needs.

Regards,
LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I admit to being unaware of the realities of the California boat-buying market, but can you really not find a decent Catalina 27 for $8500?

Jesus, I know you're all sick of hearing about it but I bought an excellent Pearson 30 for $4,000! Are the markets of Annapolis and California really so different?
Trouble is having to sort through all the ads that make false, or at least, uninformed claims. I am shocked that so many owners know so little about their boats. I believe that in So. Cal. we have a very large population of floating condos- boats that NEVER get sailed. I've resorted to a paper screening process. I ask a lot of questions via e-mail (so I can have a record of written responses) before I decide if I want to go see the boat. And I am also dismayed my the prevailing attitude of, stop-asking-so-many-questions- just-buy-my-boat! Craig's List boat ads are really entertaining, though.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook