SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
post #37 of Old 04-04-2012 Thread Starter
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
By a coincidence I was at the yard last Friday to pick up our boat (bottom painting) and there was a restored E-23 Mk2 on a trailer there! Owner had brought it in for some thru hull work, they said. As the smallest Bruce King-designed boat from Ericson Yachts, it looks as nice as ever...
There are enthusiastic owners of this model over at The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts!, and there's at least one other E-23 web site as well.

With the construction and engineering of the larger Ericsons, it's quite a classic pocket cruiser.

As far as hull size... we spent five years cruising and class racing a Ranger 20. Loved every minute of it. Then came a decade in a fast 26 footer performance cruiser. Since '94 we've been cruising our 34 footer.

Unsolicited Advice from up here in the third balcony: Buy a smaller high quality boat and keep it a while and sail the heck out of it. There are a LOT of unhappy owners out there with large cheapie-build boats that are neither any fun to sail not inexpensive to maintain as their poorly-engineered hulls, rigs, and internal parts fail in a premature old age.
Try to buy all the quality you can afford in the smallest boat that will meet your real needs.

Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I admit to being unaware of the realities of the California boat-buying market, but can you really not find a decent Catalina 27 for $8500?

Jesus, I know you're all sick of hearing about it but I bought an excellent Pearson 30 for $4,000! Are the markets of Annapolis and California really so different?
Trouble is having to sort through all the ads that make false, or at least, uninformed claims. I am shocked that so many owners know so little about their boats. I believe that in So. Cal. we have a very large population of floating condos- boats that NEVER get sailed. I've resorted to a paper screening process. I ask a lot of questions via e-mail (so I can have a record of written responses) before I decide if I want to go see the boat. And I am also dismayed my the prevailing attitude of, stop-asking-so-many-questions- just-buy-my-boat! Craig's List boat ads are really entertaining, though.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome