SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
The more I learn, the less I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Here is a interesting article in Practical Sailor regarding tunning.
Practical Sailor - Boat Clinic: Tuning the Masthead Rig - Tips Article
It says: "If you have absolutely no slack in the leeward Cap Shrouds going upwind in 12 knots of wind, the shrouds are probably too tight for most boats."
I just tunned using the article and seemed to reach the prescribed tension (according to Loos), and I've got a lot of slop in the Leeward shrouds in those conditions. The PS article also differs for the technique used by Dedekam in several respects. I'll bet if you asked three different Riggers, you would often get three different opinions. So, paying someone to do it isn't necessarily the answer either!
I've never quoted myself before, but do it now to make a correction. Having done furtherer research on the matter, I think, 3 Riggers might give you 5 opinions!
I'm now a little suspect of Dekekam's stretch method, as older rigging (like mine!)does stretch over time, and therefore, I think the method might not be accurate on older rigs. Dedekam does say that you can't over tighten Keel Boat rigs using small hand tools. On the other hand, another "Author" (admittedly, in a forum) suggested tightening the rig as tight as possible using a 10" wrench AT THE DOCK! Most suggest hand tightening of the Cap Shrouds to the max prior to tunning under sail.
The method that now feels best to me intuitively (and is in contradiction to the PS article I cited above), is maximum hand tightening of the Cap shrouds at the dock, then sailing in 15 Knots and alternatively tightening Leeward shrouds equal amounts until the slack is eliminated. Of course, the the mast should be straight at the dock and while under sail, and the lowers should be adjusted to maintain the Mast alignment under sail. It seems to me that this method would allow some Leeward slack in heavy weather, yet prevent over tightening and shock loads in gusts and while tacking. Thoughts?

Last edited by L124C; 04-04-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook