SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Mr. B Buys A Boat- Adventures in Boat Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Are you trying to make a Catalina 27 plane?
Often skippers end up with more engine than they need, based on the bigger is better philosophy or a failure to understand that torque is a better measure of an engine's ability than hp. Personally, I blame the Atomic 4 for this trend- because that lump put out 30 hp, owners though they NEED 30 hp on their next boat, never realizing that the peak hp of an atomic is at 3500 rpm, while usually cruiseat hull speed is at 2000-2400 rpm, where the engine is developing only 16-18 hp... if that, since the hp specs given are factory specs from a fresh engine.

I've got a 4400 lb boat, which often cruises with 1000 lbs of crew, dogs, fuel, and stores powered by a yanmar 1GM which has no problem cruising all day long at hull speed at 2400 rpm.
BLJ,
Blame Atomic 4 engines if you must. Yes they are rated to 30 HP, and no, they don't really like running at full throttle.
They were also installed in boats up to about 34' in length; some still purring along. I am actually enjoying keeping my 45 year old Atomic 4 in shape; they are easier to care for then you may think.
The stink of a little gasoline does not scare me more then the bad smell of a holding tank or diesel fuel mixed together. Properly managed gasoline is not

Smells.
Diesel?
Gasoline?
Holding tank?

They can all be remedied by proper maintenance usually.

There are probably very few a Tartan 27's for sale on the left coast.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook