SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dynamic tuning of rig
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: The more I learn, the less I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I've never quoted myself before, but do it now to make a correction. Having done furtherer research on the matter, I think, 3 Riggers might give you 5 opinions!
I'm now a little suspect of Dekekam's stretch method, as older rigging (like mine!)does stretch over time, and therefore, I think the method might not be accurate on older rigs. Dedekam does say that you can't over tighten Keel Boat rigs using small hand tools. On the other hand, another "Author" (admittedly, in a forum) suggested tightening the rig as tight as possible using a 10" wrench AT THE DOCK! Most suggest hand tightening of the Cap Shrouds to the max prior to tunning under sail.
The method that now feels best to me intuitively (and is in contradiction to the PS article I cited above), is maximum hand tightening of the Cap shrouds at the dock, then sailing in 15 Knots and alternatively tightening Leeward shrouds equal amounts until the slack is eliminated. Of course, the the mast should be straight at the dock and while under sail, and the lowers should be adjusted to maintain the Mast alignment under sail. It seems to me that this method would allow some Leeward slack in heavy weather, yet prevent over tightening and shock loads in gusts and while tacking. Thoughts?

Agree this is all good information.

One thing I think most of us could easily over tighten any rig even with just hand tools, so I would not use that as an indicator.

The other thing I don't understand is why you would want slack on the lee ward shrouds. Would it not be best if all shrouds never went to 0 tension that way the shroud would not see cyclic loads that would potentially lead to fatigue failure? I have heard of long distance sailors tieing bunges cord around the leeward shrouds to prevent fatigue failure (from the shroud swinging around for extended periods). Anyone know how say a volvo 60 is tuned in the arond the world volvo race?

Finally, to become a professional rigger /tuner what do you need to do? Go to college? Pass a test? Get a license? Rig and tune 1000 boats and not lose a rig at sea?
WTH is a professional rigger? Could any of us hang a shingle and call ourseves a professional rigger?

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook